Have you already chosen where your next vacation will be? If you haven’t done so yet, we suggest you visit Chile, one of the most magnificent places on the planet. According to the World Travel Award organization, this country won the award as the main adventure tourist destination in 2021, an award that it had already received in 2016 and 2017.
With such a background, rest assured that you will not be bored in Chile. And it is full of places where you can do various adventure activities. Some of the most popular among tourists are:
- Snowboarding in the Andes Mountains
- Excursions in Antarctica
- Mountain biking in Patagonia
- Horseback riding on the Carretera Austral.
- Kayaking in the famous Strait of Magellan
But if your spirit of adventure is not so extreme, there are also many wonderful places that you cannot miss. The Atacama Desert, for example, is the driest non-polar point and the one with the greatest solar energy potential in the world. Not visiting it is like not having been to Chile.
The famous Easter Island, for its part, is a destination characterized by its mysticism. Many say that, in it, there is a kind of magic that makes you fall in love with its landscapes, is it true? True or not, you will be delighted with it.
Another obligatory visit is the Island of Chicloé, characterized by its beauty, traditions and the hospitality of its people. One of the curious facts of this town has to do with its churches, which were built from an architectural method based on the use of wood and, despite being more than two centuries old, are preserved in excellent condition. . In fact, 16 of them have been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Requirements to enter Chile
Have you already encouraged yourself to travel to Chile? So do we, so don’t waste time. Find your agenda and start planning your next vacation in this beautiful nation. But do not forget that, before, you must verify if you gather the necessary documentation so that the immigration authorities allow your entry. Therefore, you must make sure you have the following elements:
- Valid international travel document. Citizens from Colombia, Ecuador, Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil, Bolivia, Uruguay and Peru can enter with their identity cards or DNI. Other foreigners are required to present a valid passport.
- Visa. This document is a requirement for national travelers from countries that do not maintain diplomatic relations on immigration matters with Chile.
- Tourist Card. It is a certificate that is granted to visa-exempt travelers. It is delivered upon entering the country and constitutes a residence permit for 90 days. This period may be extended for the same time, upon timely request by the interested party.
- Round trip ticket. The return date must be within the period of time allowed in the visa or tourist card.
- Economic solvency. Accredited by means of valid documents and that reflects the capacity to assume the costs derived from the stay.
In addition to the documents just mentioned, it is advisable to check if you comply with customs regulations. Also, make sure you know what the entry requirements are if you are traveling by land. This information can be expanded by entering the following portal of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: https://minrel.gob.cl/recomendaciones-para-ingresar-a-chile/minrel_old/2008-06-19/154047.html#:~:text=Los%20turistas%20para%20enter%20a,depending%20onthe %20pa%C3%ADs%20from%20origin
Conditions for applying for a tourist visa
Travelers from countries that do not have visa exemption agreements with Chile must apply for one. Depending on how many times they want to enter during the validity of the document, they can choose between a single or multiple entry permit. In any case, it is essential to gather the following elements:
- Complete the electronic form available at: https://tramites.minrel.gov.cl/Solicitudes/visa.aspx
- Original passport, issued by a competent authority in your country of origin and valid. Its validity cannot be less than the visa would have if approved.
- Four recent photographs, taken from the front, on a white background and in passport size.
- Demonstrate that they have sufficient financial means to finance their stay.
- Accommodation reservation or invitation letter issued by a Chilean company or citizen.
- Return ticket to the country of origin or continuation to a third party.
The consular office has the power to contact the applicants, in order to require a personal interview or the provision of additional documents. If the permit is granted, the passport must be delivered and the corresponding fee must be paid. The cost of fees varies according to the type of visa requested (single or multiple) and the nation of origin. In the following document published by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you can consult what corresponds to each country: https://serviciosconsulares.cl/tramites/site/artic/20190220/asocfile/20190220161313/cuadra_de_aranceles_y_vistos_de_turismo_2020.pdf
To expand this data, we recommend you contact the consulate with jurisdiction in your country. Similarly, we advise you to visit the official information portal Chile Atiende, in its section on tourist visas, whose link we share below: https://www.chileatiende.gob.cl/fichas/2458-visto-de-turismo-simple-o-multiple-para-extranjeros-solicitud-desde-el-exterior
Entry protocol decreed due to COVID-19
Due to the pandemic, Chile has developed the Protected Borders plan. Its purpose is to establish a special sanitary control, in order to verify the health status of people who enter and leave the country. In accordance with said program, only tourists who present the documents mentioned below will be allowed to enter:
- Chilean mobility pass. This document issued by the Ministry of Health is proof of complete vaccination. To obtain it, it is essential to access the following portal: https://mevacuno.gob.cl/ and comply with registration.
- Negative result of PCR test. The sample must be taken within 72 hours prior to shipment. People who have recovered after being infected in the last month will be admitted even if they obtain a positive result, provided they present another test carried out at least ten days before the trip, in which their condition is verified.
- Affidavit for travelers. It must be filled out at least 48 hours before the outbound flight. Along with it, it is necessary to attach the negative result of the PCR test. You can access it by going to: https://c19.cl/#/
- Travel medical insurance. Your coverage must be at least USD 30,000 and be valid for the treatment of illnesses related to COVID-19. Additionally, it is recommended that you include repatriation expenses.
It is important to keep in mind that the affidavit is, in turn, the International Health Passport (PSI). Upon completing the form, the certificate will be sent by email and a QR code that must be provided at various stages of the trip.
These requirements must be supplied before boarding the plane. Likewise, they must present themselves to the corresponding authorities when entering the country. Children under six years of age are exempt from vaccination. Therefore, they do not need to obtain the mobility pass.
If you want to know the sanitary measures that you must observe during your stay in Chile, we recommend you visit the following website: https://saludresponde.minsal.cl/plan-fronteras-protegidas-extranjeros-no-residentes-turismos-1-febrero/ In this portal of the Ministry of Health, you will find extensive details about it. In any case, do not forget to keep up to date with the news that arises about the pandemic. Although progress has been made, the guard cannot yet be lowered.