Who can resist a crystal clear beach and one delicious gastronomysurrounded by a unique landscape and of happy people? No one! And if you wonder where all that is, the answer is very simple: in the Dominican Republic. This is a small island country characterized by the caribbean beautya tourist jewel that you cannot miss.
It is a region with historical background very important. Dominican (island of Hispaniola), was the first permanent settlement that Christopher Columbus established when he discovered America. And we can’t blame him; since, in his place, we would not have wanted to leave this Eden either.
its capital, Santo Domingo, is the favorite city of tourists. And here, in addition to the beaches, foreigners enjoy a active night life beside exquisite caribbean dishes and the warmth of its people, which makes them feel at home. And not to mention Punta Canathe perfect place for shake off stress, practice sports Y marvel at the marine fauna. In a few words, the Dominican Republic is a paradise and it is waiting for you.
Entry requirements for foreigners
Before preparing your luggage, it is essential that you verify if you have the required documentation by the authorities of this country. Sometimes, asking what are the immigration requirements for tourists it can be an exhausting process; Fortunately, we have consulted the official sources and collected the information you will need to organize your trip. So, pay attention to the conditions detailed below:
- Original passport. Valid and whose validity extends for at least six months from the date of entry into the country, or until the date of departure.
- Visa or tourist card. Most foreigners will need to obtain one of these documents. The obligation of one or the other will depend on the place of origin of the visitor.
- One-way ticket and return flight reservation. In order to demonstrate that the entry into the country has been made by lawful means and that the date of return coincides with the permitted deadlines.
- Rooting tests. It is recommended to provide documents that demonstrate family ties and work, commercial or academic commitments in the country of origin. These will offer the immigration authorities indications to presume that the person will leave the Dominican Republic.
- Proof of economic solvency. The availability of a minimum amount of money is not required. However, it is necessary to demonstrate that you have sufficient means to subsist during your stay.
- Description of the accommodation. Upon arrival at the airport, the Dominican authorities will question the foreigners about the place where they will be staying.
The immigration authorities they have the power to interview tourists about the reasons for their trip. Also, they may apply sanctions and even deport citizens that do not comply with the entry documentation.
What is the tourist card and who should apply for it?
Certain citizens have to get this document to enter Dominican territory. It is a permit, whose process is very simple; since it only implies the payment of a tax rate for an amount of 10 USD.
Said document is only granted to citizens of a group of 145 countries with whom the Dominican Republic has celebrated special migratory agreements. The list of these nations is available on the official consular services portal:
The amount corresponding to the tourist card is included in the air ticket price. People who enter by land or seathey will have to go to the office of the General Directorate of Taxes that works in the town where they have arrived, to obtain it.
Foreigners who have said special permissionare authorized to stay in the Dominican Republic for a maximum of 30 days. In turn, tourists who wish extend the time of their stay, they will have to opt for a tourist visa.
Tourist visa | How to process it?
People who want to travel to the Dominican Republic and cannot aspire to a Tourist Card or want a residence permit for more than 30 days, they will have to apply for a visa. The process must be carried out in a consular office representing that country. And for this purpose, applicants need to meet the following requirements:
- Fill the visa form in machine or by hand, with print or legible letters. It is available at consular offices and can also be completed here: http://www.consuladord.com/contenidos.aspx?cid=82&lang=ES
- original passport valid for at least six months.
- A recent photographtaken from the front, on a white background and size 4 x 5 cm.
- Show economic solvency through suitable documents. Bank letters, labor certificates and property titles on movable and immovable property will be accepted.
- Legible photograph of Document national of identity.
- Lodging reservation or, failing that, an invitation letter with a comprehensive description of the personal, financial and contact details of the host.
- Airplane ticket or round trip flight reservation.
- Visa application lettercontaining the personal data of the applicant, occupation, place of residence, economic situation and purpose of the trip.
- readable copy of the visas granted by the Dominican authorities in the past (only applies to those who have previously visited the country).
National tourists from: Pakistan, China, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, India and Afghanistan; Additionally, they will present a guarantee letter. This document must be signed by a Dominican citizen or foreigner with permanent residence visa and in it you must assume the following commitments:
- Respond morally and financially for the actions of the foreign citizen.
- ensure that the tourist You will not engage in activities other than those permitted by the visa you are applying for. Likewise, it must ensure that the visitor does not intend to change their immigration status and that they will return to their place of origin in a timely manner or continue their trip to a third country.
- assume the expenses of the visitor during their stay.
- bear the costs in case the sanction of deportation is applied or repatriation expenses are required.
The cost of this visa is $70which must be paid in said currency or in euros if the procedure is carried out in the Euro zone. Once the request has been formalized, a response will be given within a period not exceeding 10 working days. If you need more information, consult the official page of the consulate: http://www.consuladord.com/
Protocol established in the DR due to COVID-19
Given that COVID-19 is still in pandemic levelsit is crucial that, in addition to the typical identity documents, you comply with certain sanitary requirements before making a international travel. As for the Dominican Republic, it could be said that the measures taken by the State have a certain flexibility in relation to those of other nations.
As a general rule, foreign and Dominican passengersThey will have to complete the E-Ticket before boarding. It is a questionnaire in which the traditional shipping forms and of health declaration. You can access it here:
On the other hand, airports carry out a breath test from random way. This test will be mandatory for passengers who show symptoms related to COVID-19. They are excepted from this procedure, the children under five.
In the same way, they will not have to submit to it, those who carry a vaccination card, where it is verified that the last dose was applied at least three weeks before the trip. They will also be excepted, the people who present a negative PCR test practiced within 72 hours prior upon arrival in the country.
Although it is not mandatory to have a Vaccination card to enter or transit through the country, it is advisable to carry it. And it is that, although it is not required in hotels or public transportationyes it is a requirement to enter other business establishments and providers of travel services. Failing this, proof of a negative PCR test, performed at least 7 days before, will be accepted.
we advise you verify the validity of these measures before your trip, since COVID-19 has proven to be a rapidly mutating virus. By virtue of this, the restrictions decreed in order to stop its spread could be made more rigorous. You will find up-to-date information in the airline websites and in the official tourism site from Dominican Republic: https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/es/