If there is an African country that has set out to become a first class tourist destination, that’s Tunisia. This nation, which like many in its region has suffered the consequences of terrorism, is one of those that has made the greatest efforts in terms of security recovery in its territory. As a result, today, with few exceptions, visitors can feel calm in any locality.
These efforts constitute excellent news for international tourism lovers. And the thing is, Tunisia is a lovely destinyfull of color, history and magnificent places. Its culture, the result of the influence of various ancient civilizations that in the past emigrated to this territory or made it their colony, is worthy of being appreciated. This is the kind of country that suits all tastes. Here you can:
- enjoy in oasis of incomparable beauty
- Cknow archeological ruins
- revel in exotic beaches
- To admire their temples
- Marvel at buildings such as the Le Royal Hammamet hotel, the Roman amphitheater El Djem or the Great Mausoleum of Kairouan.
Nightly entertainment is another of its strengths. Unlike some of its neighbors, Tunisia is a modern country, where you can go to clubs or bars without this representing a conflict with Islam. In fact, the nation is a pioneer in equal treatment between men and women, and softens the rigor of religious norms. Thus, it meets all the requirements to be a excellent tourist destination. Let yourself be amazed by its unparalleled charm!
Requirements to travel to Tunisia
When performing a international travel Keep in mind that after making the decision, the next step will be to check if you meet the Entry requirements that the country demands from foreigners. This way, you will know if you need to do previous procedures and you will be able to define the date more accurately.
So, let’s see what documentation will be requested by the tunisian authorities in order to enter its territory:
- Passport with a minimum validity of six months from the date of departure from the country, with at least one blank page.
- Visaif required by virtue of your nationality.
- Flight reservation departure or continuity to a third country. Those who go to another nation must present valid entry documents to enter it.
- demonstrate the adequacy of funds to assume the expenses incurred during the stay.
- Contribute means of proof of family, labor and/or financial ties, that demonstrate the intention to return to the country of origin.
- Lodging reservation or letter of invitation issued by a citizen permanently residing in Tunisia.
- customs declarationif deposited with more than 1,000 Tunisian dinars (TND).
- Yellow fever vaccineif you come from an endemic country.
The obligation to present these documents may vary according to the nationality or immigration status of the traveler. Thus, the passport will not be requested from citizens who are in any of these situations:
- Declared refugees or stateless personsif they have an official identity document.
- travelers with a maritime notebookif they travel for work reasons.
- Nationals of Portugal, Luxembourg, Holland, Spain, France, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Belgium, Greece, Italy, Finland and Switzerland can use their national identification documentif your trip has been organized by a tourist agency.
If you immigration status is found somewhere exceptional casedo not hesitate to contact the tunisian embassy before organizing your trip. The AirlinesThey can also offer you reliable information.
Requirements to process the Tunisian tourist visa
Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa to enter Tunisia. If you want to know if you have to process it, we recommend you consult the international air transport association passenger center: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/#. If so, you will have to make a request accompanied by the elements that we mention below:
- Application formavailable here: https://www.diplomatie.gov.tn/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/formulaire-visa.pdf
- original passport, in good conditions; that remains valid for at least six months after departure and has a blank page.
- Passport-size photographrecent, taken on a white background and in colour.
- confirmation of the lodging reservation or Letter of Invitation issued by a Tunisian or foreigner with permanent residence in the country.
- Copy of bank statements or certification of income that demonstrate the economic solvency.
- Copy of international vaccination certificate against yellow fever if applicable, depending on the country of origin.
People exempt from requiring a visa Due to their nationality, they may enter without having said document, only if their stay does not exceed the 90 days. Otherwise, they will have to do the corresponding request depending on the reasons for your trip.
It is important to mention that currently some official immigration portals are under construction. For more information, go to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tunisia, https://www.diplomatie.gov.tn/. However, we recommend go to or contact an embassy with jurisdiction, located as close as possible to where you reside.
Entry conditions decreed due to COVID-19
To travel to Tunisia during the pandemic, it is necessary to comply with the protocol developed by the government for neutralize infections. These conditions vary depending on whether the person is vaccinated or not.
Those who are vaccinated must present the corresponding certificatewhere it is shown that they have received the full inoculation scheme. Additionally, they must meet the following requirements:
The people that are not vaccinated or possess the incomplete outline, in addition to meeting the three requirements detailed above; must undergo a mandatory quarantine for 10 days. This condition will have to be referred to in the Health Declaration.
Said confinement will be under their responsibility and when entering the country, they will have to show the booking and payment confirmation in a government-approved hotel. In the following document, you can know the authorized lodging establishments: https://www.ontt.tn/sites/default/files/inline-files/HOTELS_CONFINEMENT02122021.pdf
Between the 7th and 10th day of isolation, travelers must carry out a PCR test under your charge. The result will depend on whether they can continue with your itinerary or complete the quarantine period until it is safe to leave. Those under 18 years of age are exempt from confinement.
In the official portal of the highest Tunisian tourist authority that we share below, you can download the documents containing the biosafety standards applicable in the country: https://www.ontt.tn/ar/alprotokol-alsehi. However, keep in mind that they could be written in arabic.
Rules to keep in mind during your stay andin Tunisia
The fact of being a foreigner does not exempt you from compliance with the laws of the country what do you visit Likewise, it does not authorize you to ignorer customs that govern the lives of its citizens. For this reason, we want you to keep in mind the following advice once your entry to Tunisia has been approved:
- Don’t go out ifn your passport. If you are stopped by the authorities, you could be fined.
- Although Tunisia respects the freedom of worship and they are very open, this nation practice islam. So avoid doing or saying things that could be offensive.
- If you don’t know Arabic, don’t worry, the vast majority of Tunisians speak fluent french and in many places, you can also communicate in english.
- Smoking in public spacesrestaurants and bars is prohibited.
- The same-sex relationships They are punished with fines and even imprisonment.
- Photography is not allowed government buildings.
Keep in mind that, as a tourist, you will not have the right to receive free medical care. Therefore, we recommend hiring a travel insurance, with which you can guarantee your health treatment; especially in case of get COVID-19. If you need further information that we have developed in this post, do not hesitate to contact the Tunisian embassy closest to you.